Grid Positions: transversal
Trust ranking: ***
Up linksYou can also see World Cafe or Open Space Technology for a different way to approach the problem of large meetings. When conflict can be a related issue you can consider Non Violent Communication. The question of Awareness Raising for Transition is also quite important as the participant must be completely aware of what is this tool for and the results that are intended to be reached. In this way participants arrive with a clear idea in mind.
Lab of ideas
The Lab of ideas allows to transition groups to gather innovative ideas, representative of the community. At the same time the key actors of the community are involved, both from the public and private sphere. New ideas within the community refresh the creative environment of the group and/or initiative.
Description of the problem
How to generate innovative ideas, within a certain community? The importance of a process of ideas creation and future implementation is crucial for a socially active thriving community and transition initiative.
AnalysisGenerally speaking, the groups that lead transition initiatives sometimes run out of ideas or the ideas do not reflect community interests. Lab of ideas represents a way to fill this void by including different actors by means of an innovative methodology of social change. The role of the different actors is to raise necessities and/or interests FOR the community. The organizer group (which is also the transition initiative group) is in charge of organizing, manage and facilitate the process. The Lab of ideas consists of:
- First stage: Organize the Call for the event
- Second stage: Introduction of all participants with a small facilitation
- Third stage: creation of small work groups (5 people in each sounds optimal) and definition of roles:
- Leader: in charge of take care of the process to reach the defined objective
- Time guardian: responsible for keeping an eye to the time
- Secretary: takes notes
- Spokesman: the presenter of the results
- Guides (from the organizing group) : they relate with people participating in activities and guide the whole process
- Identify the key actors
- Invite the most important actors (possibly with an in-person invitation)
- A strong organizer team able to facilitate and guide the working groups.
- Availability of a space for the meetings (with tables and chairs)
- The Canvas and all the material needed (a blackboard can be useful)
Risks and precaution
- The main precaution is probably to properly make the call of the activity. In this sense, it important to define who to invite. The most successful process’ come from a very diverse group of participants. Very different points of view (even opposite on certain issues) make the lab more fertile. With the CAVEAT of being able to facilitate properly the process. And this is why the organizing group has to master the facilitation tools. Keeping the mind open to all participants.
- Make clear to the participants what they are called for.
- The organizing group has also a role to guide the conversation during the working groups, mostly when conversations stagnate. The role is hence to give fluidity to the discussion as well as facilitate conflict moments.
- Very flexible: adaptable to many different context (communities, companies etc…)
- New strong bonds can rise among neighbors and people in the community
- New bonds mean also new allies for a certain objective
- The group in charge of the organization and facilitation can benefit from this process by refreshing the creativity of its initiative but also by strengthening its commitment within the project
- It is an interesting way to involve municipal authorities in the process